Under the Scleral: Corneal Complications of Scleral Lens Wear
Wednesday, August 2, 2023
8:30 pm – 9:30 pm(Eastern Time)
Speaker: Dr Trevor Fosso OD, FSLS, FAAO
The clinical applications and use of scleral lenses has grown significantly over the past decade and as more practitioners are utilizing scleral lenses for their patients, we are encountering new challenges. Some of these challenges are unique to scleral lenses while others are encountered among all contact lens modalities. This presentation will explore several corneal complications one may encounter with scleral lenses and the associated management strategies.
1. Attendees will be familiar with identifying and evaluating corneal edema related to scleral lens wear and different management strategies for it.
2. Attendees will be familiar with different causes of corneal superficial punctate keratopathy related to scleral lens wear and strategies to manage it.
3. Attendees will learn to evaluate limbal bearing both clinically and based on patient symptoms and how it may impact a scleral lens fit.
4. Attendees will learn how scleral lens may contribute to corneal neovascularization and what adjustments can be made to mitigate it.
5. Attendees will be familiar with the evaluation and management of microbial keratitis related to scleral lens wear.